Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Walking Wednesdays

Ok so obviously today is not Wednesday...I got a bit antsy and am doing this entry a day ahead of schedule.  Since I'm starting theme days (Project Sunday) I decided to add Walking Wednesday to the week.  Every Wednesday I am going to walk through Highland Park and report on new things that are in bloom (very exciting for me, the park is so beautiful!).  I figure this will be easy enough since March-Spetmeber there is always something new blooming.

So to be honest, today my goal was to run outside for an hour.  I thought that this wouldn't be too difficult since I've reached my goal of running for an hour on the treadmill at the gym.  Not the case, my friends.  I ran for 20 (ok 10-15) minutes and was in more pain then I have ever been on the treadmill.  AND I got my new sneaks all muddy b/c I had to take the shortcut home (pathetic)!  This didn't put me in the best mood...so I grabbed my Nikon and walked to the park.

The first thing I noticed were the smells!  It smelled like spring - fresh air, warm sunshine and some delicious smelling flower was somewhere...Down the path a ways I came across my first sign of spring

Squirrels are everywhere!!  So are the robins, unfortunately my camera doesn't have a great zoom so the photos weren't great.  I also saw a chipmunk but he was too quick for me!  As I mosied down the path I came across the second sign of spring

The tulips and some other little white flowers are popping up! And they are everywhere - can't wait for them to bloom. Next I passed the Japanese Maples, nothing much going on there until fall; and then came to my favorite section - the magnolias.  Right now the new fuzzy buds are hanging out just waiting to bloom in a few months. The lighting was beautiful the way it lit up the fuzz - here are a few shots


SO beautiful...I think I was mesmerized by the light for 15 mins or so before I pulled myself away. I can't wait until these bloom, I'll be sure to post photos.  As I dragged myself away from the magnolias I noticed this weird smell...and I mean STINK-Y.  I couldn't put my finger on it until all of a sudden I remembered "Which Hazel!" I turned to my left and there it was...the Which Hazel tree was in bloom!  PHEW what a smell for such a beautiful tree.  The funny thing is that Which Hazel blooms in yellow, orange and red.  The yellow tree reeks (rotting garbage) while the orange and red smell really goood (sweet)!

I can't get enough of those colors!  Then I came across something that made me a bit sad, as well as thankful in the same though...

Such a thoughtful thing to do. This was off the normal path and one of the few benches that haven't been graffitied on (don't get me started).

I think it's safe to say Goodbye Winter!!

No comments: